Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm such a Hypocrite

So last week I gave my sister, Kerry, a hard time because she wasn't posting on her blog. Her excuse was that she didn't have any pictures to put up, so I told her too bad, write something anyway - which she did. And now here I am, haven't posted in a week! What a hypocrite I am! In all fairness I did have 2 finals and an 8 page research paper to take care of this week - ok, so I was done with all of that on Thursday. Oh well.


So I thought I would mention a little about what's going on with all the kids - I haven't been blogging about them a whole lot lately. Plus they like to see themselves on the computer screen. In fact Abby just asked me if she could start her own blog - to which I said "No!" and she replied, "Why not?" And I didn't really know what to say, so I said, "You're too little." And thought in my mind 'Because I said so, and I'm the Mommy!'


Abigail: Abby started second grade this year - hard tobelieve that she's so grown up. The first day of school here was July 29 - crazy, huh! We have modified year-round school here. Abby seems to be enjoying her new teacher and is making some new friends. Her favorite things to do right now are roller skating and riding her bike. She's also gaga for Polly Pocket, but since we moved, I haven't brought the Polly Pocket stuff downstairs yet as there's really no where for her to put it that the other kids can't get into all the tiny, tiny pieces. She's getting really good at reading and will read entire chapter books on her own and then tell me what they were all about. She's also always been pretty good at math and it excited to be good enough to go to another class room for math time. And she's even got 100% of both of her spelling tests so far (she gets a new list of words each week).


Isaac: Isaac is attending Kindergarten again this year. He only turned 5 at Christmas time, but because of the way the schools are here he quailified, so last year he went as a Jr. Kindergartener and we choose to have him repeat this year. He just wasn't ready socially and maturity wise to go to first grade yet. Besides, we figured better to hold him back now, when he doesn't care, then later when he (and other kids) will notice and make a big deal out of it. His teacher this year is much more structured, which I don't think he would have done well with last year, but I think it will do him wonders this year. She was really good about talking to him about helping the other kids that don't know all the rules and might be scared, since he already knew what he was doing. He started going to half days of school last week, but today was his actual first full day (finally!) and he seemed to like it. He and Abby are walking home now that he's there all day, too, so that's really nice for me. And they would rather walk home anyway - it's only 5-10 min, depending on how much they chat, pick flowers, whatever. And there are no buses to the school here, everyone walks, so they usually have friends to talk with on the way. It really is a blessing to live in a nice small, and safe community. Oh, Isaac loves to draw now, and is pretty good, and he loves to make things with Legos. Sometimes he makes them up, sometimes he follows the directions that came in the sets. And I can't fail to mention that he now rides a two-wheeler - totally taught himself - and he can blow bubbles with his gum, something that he's so proud he has to show us everytime - hopefully that part will wear off soon!


Danielle: Danielle is once again attending preschool through the Headstart program here. She's in the same classroom, with the same teachers as last year. She really likes that she's the Big Girl in class now and do everything herself. She's gotten really good at coloring and can use scissors better than either of her older siblings. He teachers are always trying to find something harder for her to practice her cutting skills on. That girl is destined to be a scrapbooker already. Danielle started school on August 1, from 7:30 to 11:30. Just me and the little babe in the morning.


Juliana: Little Baby girl will be six months old - tomorrow. Man how time flies. She got her first tooth in a few weeks ago, and can now sit up on her own pretty reliably. She LOVES applesauce, and will tolerate whatever other foods I give her, just because she's so anxious to be eating what everyone else eats. If anyone is eating something in front of her, she will just STARE at you until you relent and give her a little bit. I'm not sure that I would call her stubborn yet, but she diffinately has will power. She also loves to eat biter biscuits and these things called Mum-mums, they are like giant flatten rice crispy pieces (not treats, just one piece of rice crispy cereal blown up a few hundred times). They are about 3 inches tall and look like little rice surf boards that disolve when she chews on them. Here are a few pics I took while feeding her carrots this morning. Good thing she hasn't figured out that she can spit the food out of her mouth yet - for now, if I can get it in her mouth she will swallow it down whether she likes it or not.


Notice the ghetto bib - I haven't found where I stashed the bibs before the move....

I was trying to get the look on her face when she tasted the carrots, but she is too mesmerized be the camera (as usual). But it still turned out cute.



Well, if you've read this far, you probably want to hear about Cameron and me as well, right?

Cameron just applied for a job at the University of Hawaii in their financial aid department. They are hiring counselors right now, which is the part he likes to do the best. So keep him in your prayers. It would be about an hour commute (we'd still live up here), but worth it if he can get a good job that he enjoys. In the mean time he's been hanging out with the kids while I go to class - nice that I don't have to find a babysitter for now.


I'm out of school for a week and a half. I still don't have my fall classes figured out, but I will soon. I just need a few school-free days to recover. I did manage to finish my research paper titled 'Women Who Followed Christ'. It was about the important role of women in early Christianity that is often overlooked and/or forgotten. Pretty interesting topic, but again, sick of it at the moment. If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to share my paper, but really, it's not my best piece of writing by far. Wrote most of it in a hurry. It could have been so much better if I had taken the time earlier in the term. You know, with all the free time I have everyday:) I'm also trying to work on my scrapbooking/stamping business. I've still a Close to my Heart consultant, and I love it, but again, haven't had a lot of time. But I really want to get restarted. I have absolutely NO competition here, I could do really well. And now we have a little more room, so maybe it's possible.



Well, this was way longer than I was planning. And Juliana has passed out in my lap, so I should put her down and do something more productive with my time:)


No comments: