Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Yummy Sunday Dinner

So I promised myself that I wouldn't write on here very often, and quite frankly I don't have much to say today. And really I don't know how many people are actually reading this yet. But we just had a really yummy, really easy dinner, so I thought I would share.

I actually got this recipe from my sister-in-law and my whole family loves it:

Easy Alfredo Sauce

1/2 butter
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
2 tsp garlic powder (I use fresh garlic in most of my cooking, but for this the powder tastes better - trust me on this)
2 cups milk
6 oz grated Parmesan cheese (NOT the put on spaghetti type)
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until melted. Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in Parmesan, salt, pepper. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long. Toss with hot pasta to serve.

There is also an adult addition to this meal. Cameron loves the Blackened Chicken Alfredo from TGIFridays. We happened to have this very meal at a friends house before we moved out here to Hawaii. He LOVED it almost as much as the TGI version, so we of course got the recipe. It was a marinade mix that made the chicken so tasty and of course it was a brand that I can't find anywhere here on Oahu - not that I've checked EVERY store on the island, but each of the maybe 4 chains of stores here pretty much carry the same stuff at each location.

Anyhoo... I found a substitute that he likes just a much. It's McCormick brand Grill Mates Peppercorn & Garlic marinade. It's a packet of dry mix, usually found with the taco seasoning and stuff. It's good and easy. So I make up some chicken for the adults to add to their noodles (& sauce) while the kids just eat theirs plain.

OK, have to get the wild children to bed before I go insane, I didn't get my usually Sunday nap today as I went Visiting Teaching instead. Being spiritually uplifted is a good trade-off, but I miss my nap.

And I have 2 finals to take tomorrow, so wish me luck! Maybe I should study....

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Lisa, thanks for the yummy sounding recipe. I will add it to my recipe blog with a link to your blog. I don't have great readership on the recipe site (or my normal blog, either) but maybe someone will wander in and wander over to yours. It's such fun to get feedback from your friends and even people you don't know.

Question: 1/2 stick of butter or 1/2 cup of butter?

Question #2: What's the name of the sauce packet you can't find in Paradise? I will leave a request for follow up so you can post your answer here and it will come to my email.

Thanks for making your site easier to read.

I know its too late to wish you good luck on the tests but I do and have said a little "help Lisa to do well on her tests" prayer.