Thursday, December 20, 2007

Santa's Little Helper

I think I finally got all the Christmas shopping done today. I've had a hard time - with stores about an hour away (no I'm not kidding) I don't have much time that I'm kid-less to do it in. It finally took 2 days this week of just shopping while the kids were at school - I leave at 8 am when I drop them off at school and have to be back to pick up Danielle at 11:30, so that means I have from 9-10:30 to actually shop, assuming it's only one store and there's no extra travel time. So much easier when I take the kids, even though they drive me crazy, but it gives me more time. Most of the time I'll take Danielle out of school so she can go with me, then I don't have to be back until 2pm to pick up the other kids, but that doesn't work when you're being Santa's little helper. That's actually what I did yesterday so I could hit a few stores in one morning, but it made some purchases a little tricky, luckily 3 yr olds have short memories and are easily distracted Oh, and it was Wednesday, so the other two kids actually got out at 12:45 pm (they do every Wed), cutting my shopping time short. Alas - we didn't make it to Walmart yesterday, so that's why I had to go again today.

Anyway - I think it's done. I hope it's done. Did I mention that presents Santa was planning on bringing are not longer available? I found Isaac's at another store today, but how was I supposed to know that the girl's present was going to be the hot item of the season? So I was just about in a panic over it last night - asking the kids what they really hoped Santa brought them the most, because of course he can't bring them everything that they want. But it all worked out today and I even made it back in time to pick the kids up - at 11 am mind you, because it was only a half day!

OK, I think I'm done ranting and raving. I should go to bed. I'm just waiting for Abby to drift off - the kids got to stay up tonight to watch a movie since it was the last day of school and they are now officially on Christmas Break. I don't know if I can take 3 weeks of them home everyday (we have year-round school, so breaks are LONG), but on the plus side I don't have to wake up early until my classes start (in 2 weeks, because life would be too easy if our schedules all matched) and they can play outside without having to put on a ton of snow gear - heck, they usually don't even wear shoes out there! Of course, since they don't HAVE to wake up they will - that's always how it works. On school days they don't want to get up at 7, but on Saturday (the only day we don't have to be somewhere before 8 am) they are up and at 'em at 6:30 all by themselves. Just one of those things.

Alright - she's been quiet for a while, I think I can go to sleep now. But first I have to hid Santa's unwrapped goodies - maybe they'll fit under the bed....

No comments: