Friday, December 7, 2007

I've finally given in...

So I've been considering the idea of a blog for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. I can't imagine way - it's not like I have anything else going on in my life right now, right?

But my precious Aunt Lynne has finally inspired me to get going after I shared an amusing story of my 3 yr old involving a pair of scissors and her beautiful blond hair. Since most of you probably already received the story in your inbox I won't put it up here now, but if for some reason you haven't read it and want to let me know.

I will however share a few musing thoughts that occurred to me as I was typing up a paper for school yesterday. See we have a black wireless keyboard. I love that it's wireless so that I can type on my lap since we don't have a desk for the computer - it's on a small TV stand with just enough room for the monitor and the keyboard, but it's not at a good height for typing.
Anyway... totally of the subject. Because the keyboard is black the letters are white and apparently weren't printed on with the highest quality of ink, because most of the key had been rubbed blank. This made for interesting typing and creative spelling for a while, but it still worked.

So flash ahead a few weeks - someone we know what getting rid of a keyboard, so we grabbed it thinking we could be thrifty and switch out some of the keys that we can't read anymore. Of course it spent a good week or so in the car before we finally got around to thinking about it again, and then it inadvertently ended up in the dumpster - but that's a story for another day.

We get inside and Cameron starts flipping the keys off the black keyboard so we can put the new keys on. I finally pry one key off the new keyboard and try to fit it on the right place on the old one - and it doesn't fit! Not something we ever considered! Not that it was a big deal, but now there were black keys flipped all over the living room as they were not coming off easily and since we were just going to throw them away it didn't matter if a few went behind the couch or under the table for now. Only I needed them back so I could have a working keyboard!

Well, that was a long story to get to the point. I no longer have a ? key. Well, I do have one, but I ended up without a 'c' key, but thought I would use the 'v' key for the c since I don't use that letter as often while typing. Only that got old after a while so I moved the ? key over. Now I don't have a ? and I have to use a pencil to type it. Why I don't move a less used key there I'm not sure, but that would be too easy.

As was the remedy for our black keyboard - I just used a permanent silver marker to write the letters back on. And while they may still eventually wear off I can always write the letters back on again. Now why didn't we think of that from the start?

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Darling Lisa,

Congratulations and welcome to the fun world of blogging. You are my third convert. I love the story of the keyboard. I think it's time to tell the story of our keyboard but Phil AND Trent may be a bit upset but since I don't know how often they read it maybe I'll take the chance.

Anyway, I will read your blog every day. I love you,

Aunt Lynne from the Mainland

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS Do you old auntie a favor and make your text bigger. It's hard for us olde folks to read, what with our bifocals and all. Also, black is hard to read off.

I am so happy you are here! I'm going to tell my friends. If you want a counter to see how many folks stop by go to the bottom of my blog, click on my counter and it will take you to the site where you can choose one you like. Then you can install it.