Thursday, May 29, 2008

Keep Your Eye on the Ball...

or the bat as the case may be.

Well, we had our first baseball related injury yesterday. And surprisingly enough it wasn't one of the players. It was Danielle. And here's a couple pics of her injury for your viewing pleasure:







Actually it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. She took a bat square between her eyebrows.
One of the kids on Abby's team was practicing his swing with a ball they had hung from the dugout fence. They did this last game as well, and I actually moved the practice ball because I was afraid someone was going to get hit. Well this game I didn't say anything, but we were only sitting a little ways away, so I figured I could keep my eye on it. Well, obviously that didn't work out as planned. The team mom had her back turned because she was trying to get the current batter out on the field, and honestly I thought Danielle was down the way playing were she was about 30 seconds earlier, so I was watching the game as well. Then I heard a thunk and knew that the practice ball hadn't been hit - it's a whiffle ball. And there's Danielle on the ground clutching her nose. It took me a second to even register what had happened. The poor kid that was swinging felt so bad. He didn't even have time to say anything because he was up to bat right then, but her came over when he got back off the field and said he was sorry. Luckily it was the smallest kid on the team and Danielle caught just the very end of the swing. The poor guy had even looked over his shoulder to check for anyone standing there, but Danielle was on his other side.

I was a little worried at first because it was swelling up so fast, but she calmed down in just a couple of minutes and we put ice on it. Luckily we had come to the games in 2 different cars, so Cameron took her home to give her some Tylenol and make her more comfortable. By the time rest of us got home about a half hour later she was pretty much her normal self again. The pics were taken about 3 hours after the incident, right before bed. And amazingly enough it looks just the same this morning. Still swollen, but no real color. She even got up and went to school. What a trooper.

That was definitely enough excitement to last me for a little while. I'm hoping I can make it through the rest of the season (2 more games) without anymore injuries - that was plenty.

3 comments:

Teri said...

Thank goodness they don't play hockey! Puck to the head could be even more colorful! Glad she's OK.

Liz said...

ok, during the reading of this post, i had a minor heart attack. seriously, traumatic! so glad she's okay!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Poor little tyke. And poor Mom too. It's amazing all the creative ways a child can get hurt. I'm glad she's okay.

Now about that usless trivia.... I can hardly wait!