Monday, March 23, 2009


So.... How are you all doing on your meal list? I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at just how many meals I came up with - considering that I feel like we're always eating the same thing over and over. In fact I came up with 19 just by sitting down and writing. Then I went through my recipe binder and asked the kids what they liked. And of course in the process I thought of a few more that I didn't have down yet. Seriously - I ended up with 33! And that's not counting Chicken Nuggets and Hot Dogs, which I am putting on my list as "don't have time to cook today" alternates. I'm excited to be able to put together 5 weeks of menus, even if I don't find a couple more - we have pizza every Friday. So here's what I came up with, separated into categories of meats:

Chicken:
Santa Fe Chicken
Hawaiian Haystacks (which curiously actual Hawaiians have usually not heard of)
Blacken Chicken Alfredo
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Crispy Onion Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Chicken Divan Casserole
Chile Verde Soup
Chicken Bombs
Chicken Salad Sandwiches (dinner tonight)
Chicken Pot Pie

Beef:
Tacos
Spaghetti
Stroganoff
Enchiladas
Nachos
Taco Soup
Hamburgers
Chili (and rice)
Pot Roast
Tater Tot Casserole
Stew

Pork:
Kalua Pork
Chinese Noodles
Ham (I just found a FABULOUS and SUPER EASY crock pot recipe for this)
Pork Chops
BBQ Pork Sandwiches

Other:
Breakfast Casserole
Tuna Melts
Pizza
Lasagna
Potato Cheese Soup
Sub (deli) Sandwiches

So I want to hear what you came up with. Leave it in the comments, if you want, or leave a link to your blog and put it there - whatever works for you. But I want to hear some ideas. I'm all for making 6 weeks of menus! So, please share.

This week's assignment:
Read the next step's directions, pages 8-16. Basically we're taking all those recipes and putting them into weekly menus. It mentions in the booklet to be conscious of varying your meat, but I would also caution you to look at your starches as well. We eat a lot of stuff with rice, and I don't like having it day after day after day, so I will need to vary rice, pasta, potatoes, etc, too. And there are certain meals that we will gladly eat more often than once a month (or longer), so I will need to take that into consideration as well.

Well, I think that's it for now. Remember that if you want to participate in the drawing for the recipe binder you need to leave a comment letting me know that you're playing along. Comments need to be done by this Saturday, at midnight (Hawaii time). And next week I'll announce the winner!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for getting this altogether. It is going to be so great for me! It will make meal planning and shopping so much simpler! I'll post the meals we came up with in my blog sometime this week. And, it was fun asking the kids what their favorite meals were. Some of their answers surprised me!

Karen Lambarth said...

I'll list mine favs and ask Richard. But I know he will say, spaghetti, tacos, ham, pork, chicken, . . . .
He thinks meat is the meal. All the other stuff is tolerated! He's NOT a picky eater just not a lot of help in planning. This is a new area for me to explore w/him. For years I have made what I want.
Maybe I'll assign us different nights of the week to pick from the menu list and prepare it!

Anonymous said...

"kay, I'll just comment. It'll be easier for me. What about McDog Logs?! That's a Lambarth specialty! I also have Sloppy Joes, stir fry (any kind), pesto pasta, cavatini, cheddar cheese quiche, filled shells/manicotti, beef noodle casserole, steak/chicken grilled or done on the smoker, pesto pasta. I had a lot of the same ones you did. Hopefully this helps. If you need recipes for any of them, let me know.